Meet Alex Kaplan
Thank you for visiting my webpage. I am running for Cook County Judge for the 12th Judicial Subcircuit, and I would sincerely appreciate your support in this upcoming election.
My family and I immigrated to the United States from Kiev, Ukraine as Jewish refugees in 1978. I was 4 years old. We fled Soviet religious and cultural oppression that permeated the country. As refugees, my family sought the freedom and opportunity that only America could offer, and we started out on the path to the "American Dream." Eventually, we settled in Wilmette, where my parents raised my siblings and me.
Part of my desire to run for Judge is to give everyone the opportunity of fairness; to treat everyone with respect and even-handedness, irrespective of religion, race, color, gender, sexual orientation or ethnicity. Everyone, regardless of their background, should get the benefit of impartiality and equality.
Under the horrors of the Soviet regime, my parents felt the pains of discrimination, persecution and anti-Semitism.
My parents never forgot the Soviet system that was patently unfair. The inequitable treatment my family felt had a great impact on my development. My parents went to great lengths to teach in me a sense of justice, fairness and evenhandedness as they raised me in America.
They instilled in me a very strong work ethic, which focused on education. My family believed education was the basis of all things that I wanted to achieve in life. Through me, my family was living the American Dream. The principles that my parents taught me formed the basis of my legal career.
After graduating from New Trier High School in 1993, I attended Lake Forest College, where I graduated Magna Cum Laude in 1997. Attending Chicago-Kent College of Law after college was a natural step. I knew that I would be most productive and helpful as an attorney fighting for people’s rights.
I was admitted to practice law in Illinois in 2000, and in New York in 2010.
In the course of my 15 year private practice, I have strived to apply the lessons of fairness, compassion, and understanding that my parents instilled in me.
With my law practice, these experiences solidified the foundation to be a solid jurist and embody my desire see that justice is always served to every person from every walk of life.
I have represented individuals and companies in a wide array of litigation, at the local, state and federal levels.
- Foreclosure: I have litigated cases involving people who are faced with foreclosure. The loss of someone’s home is an emotionally draining, and very scary, experience.
- Bankruptcy: Very often, clients who come to me are the subject of mounting debt, either from the loss of a loved one, medical bills, loss of a job, or got caught in the downturn of a bad market. Litigating in Federal Court, these individuals come to me with the fear of losing everything for which they have worked.
- Eviction: Many times, I am asked to represent tenants who are being evicted from their home. I have also litigated cases on behalf of a landlord whose tenants are not paying rent. Through my work on both sides of eviction cases, I learned to take a balanced approach to any case that I am called to evaluate.
- Defense: Many clients find themselves with a prospect of facing a charge from a prosecutor. One of the most gratifying aspects of my practice is making sure that their constitutional rights are protected against over-reaching prosecutors.
- Litigation: I have litigated and tried cases where individuals suffered injury due to the neglect of someone else.
- Real Estate: One of the most exciting times in my client’s lives is the purchase or sale of a new home or investment property. It is gratifying when clients entrust me to handle the negotiation and legalities of these transactions.
- Family Law: Divorce is always very painful. I am grateful for clients that put their faith in me to handle these sensitive, emotional, and sometimes very litigious matters.
- Contract: Sadly, many agreements are not followed, or disputes and differences arise out of a business relationship. My clients come to me to handle these issues and know that I can resolve them in an effective and fair manner.
My wide breadth of experience litigating cases and handling clients’ matters has given me extensive knowledge about our laws and the Cook County court system. I will bring my experiences to the bench as a judge to protect people’s rights and come to a fair decision.
More importantly, my interactions with clients has given me a deep appreciation of the emotional toll that all litigation takes on a person, and the human element that is always behind any form of conflict that finds its way into a courtroom. Having an appreciation for the person, as well as the law, is an indispensable attribute for any judge.
I possess the professional and personal experience to add to the judiciary in Cook County. I am asking for your support for the chance to count myself as being elected to a judgeship in the 12th Subcircuit of Cook County. Thank you for considering my candidacy and sharing my message with your friends and family.